Offering 10% below asking on Boston student housing after 79 days

mina_details

First-time buyer
Established
I want to make a credible $603,000 offer without trading away inspection, financing or appraisal protection to get it accepted. The obstacle is the evidence: this Boston student-housing property is listed at $670,000, has been on the market for 79 days and requires updates, yet there are too few useful completed sales for me to pin down value confidently.

The 10% reduction would be supported by the condition and limited sales evidence, not by a claim that 79 days proves the seller is desperate. I can provide clean financing and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion date. I am prepared to walk away, particularly if the alternative is an unpriced repair, appraisal or deposit risk. How brief should the explanation be, and what deposit exposure would be sensible while those protections remain in place?
 
Present $603,000 as the number supported by condition and the limited completed-sale evidence, not as a verdict on the seller’s asking price. Include clear financing proof and let your flexibility on timing strengthen the package.

I would not waive inspection or financing merely to soften the lower price. With uncertain comparables, promising to cover an appraisal gap would also undermine the reason for bidding cautiously.
 
That matches my thinking. The seller’s motivation is unknown, so I don’t want to write a long argument based only on 79 days of market time. Would you attach a short explanation and give a normal response window, or use a tighter deadline to stop the offer becoming leverage with another buyer? I’m also thinking carefully about how much deposit exposure is reasonable.
 
Use a clear, reasonable response deadline, but not one so tight that it feels theatrical. If there has been no competing offer in 79 days, pressure tactics may add irritation without giving you much advantage. A short note about condition, completed comparables and reliable financing is enough. The offer terms should do most of the talking.
 
I’d go further: 10% below is not automatically aggressive when the clearing price is unclear. What may antagonise the seller is an itemised essay about everything wrong with the property.

Keep the rationale neutral and avoid committing in advance to an appraisal gap. If the seller counters, you can decide whether the new price is supported rather than negotiating against yourself now.
 
Also separate inspection protection from repair negotiations. Retaining an inspection contingency does not mean you must demand a credit for every dated finish. You can price visible updating into the initial offer, then reserve repair-credit requests for significant issues that were not reasonably apparent. That makes the position more consistent if the seller pushes back.
 
One missing fact is whether the student housing is vacant, occupied, or subject to existing leases. That could affect both value and the completion date the seller prefers. I’d want completed comparables with similar condition and occupancy arrangements, not merely nearby properties with similar asking prices. The paperwork and obligations should be examined locally before you commit.
 
On the deposit, focus less on whether the headline amount looks strong and more on exactly when it can become exposed. Financing, appraisal and inspection deadlines need to work together; otherwise one protection may expire while another issue remains unresolved. Have the local wording explained to you before signing, since the consequences depend on the contract and jurisdiction.
 
I’d decide your concession ladder before submitting: opening price, maximum price, and whether you would prefer a lower price or a repair credit if inspection finds something material. Don’t automatically split the difference after a counter. A seller moving from $670,000 tells you they will negotiate, but it does not establish that the midpoint is market value.
 
A clean package here means documented financing, a realistic completion date, an unambiguous deadline and contingencies you can actually satisfy—not stripping out every protection. Submit the $603,000 offer politely and let the response reveal motivation. If the counter requires both a higher price and meaningful appraisal-gap exposure, walking away would be consistent with your original concern about unpriceable risk.
 
Back
Top