Offering 11% below asking on a $435,000 New York apartment

grove.friendly

Buyer
Established
I would like to open near $387,000 while keeping the offer credible, but the lack of solid completed comparables makes that difficult to justify. The New York apartment is listed at $435,000, has been available for 76 days and requires updating. Similar nearby asking prices do not show what buyers have actually paid.

My financing is arranged, and I can accommodate the seller on the completion date. Is an opening roughly 11% under the list price reasonable if I support it with the limited sales evidence and estimated work, rather than criticising the apartment? I am not willing to remove inspection or financing protection merely to describe the offer as clean.

Before submitting, I plan to ask about earlier offers and any failed transaction. I also need to decide on a sensible response deadline and review the appraisal-gap, repair-credit and deposit terms. Which of those would most affect how the seller assesses the offer?
 
The percentage itself is less important than whether you can support the number. Submit the completed comparables you do have, then account for condition and updating costs without criticising the apartment. Proof of funds and financing readiness may make the offer more credible.

I would keep inspection and financing protection. A flexible closing date could be more valuable to this seller than a few thousand dollars, but your agent needs to find out what timing they actually want.
 
Also, ask why it has been sitting for 76 days and whether there have been rejected offers or a previous deal that failed. That answer may tell you more than the listing history. I’d use a clear but reasonable response deadline, not a short deadline that looks like pressure.
 
Is this a co-op or a condo? That missing fact could change both the financing discussion and how much weight to put on nearby comparisons. You also need completed sales from genuinely comparable buildings and units; similar asking prices only show what other sellers hope to receive.

I disagree slightly with treating $387,000 as just an opening move. Decide first what the apartment is worth to you and your maximum price. If the seller counters, negotiate toward that figure rather than automatically splitting the difference. Keep any appraisal gap within an amount you can actually fund, and don’t casually promise to cover an unlimited shortfall.
 
On repairs, I would avoid reducing the offer for every visible cosmetic item and then seeking credits for the same work after inspection. Price known updating into the initial offer; reserve inspection negotiations for material issues you could not reasonably assess beforehand.
 
Seventy-six days creates an opportunity, but not necessarily strong leverage. The seller may be unmotivated, or there may be an apartment or building issue that explains the lack of a sale. Before increasing any counteroffer, clarify seller timing, investigate the property carefully and compare completed transactions.

Pay particular attention to when your deposit becomes exposed under the proposed contract and what happens if financing, appraisal or inspection does not work out. Those details can depend on the contract and New York practice, so have the relevant professionals confirm the wording rather than relying on “clean financing” as a vague promise.
 
Back
Top