Offering 4% below asking on a Barcelona retail unit — sensible or too aggressive?

LocalTrail

First-time buyer
Established
Before I submit anything, I need to decide whether to lead with a firm price or use flexible timing to make the offer more attractive. The Barcelona retail unit is listed at €598,000, has spent 106 days on the market and requires updating. Similar units are advertised at comparable levels, but completed-sale evidence is thin.

I am thinking of €574,080, which is 4% under the asking price, backed by evidence of financing. For example, I could accommodate the seller’s preferred completion date rather than move closer to €598,000 immediately. How would you present that without overexplaining the defects? I also need to limit appraisal and deposit risk while retaining inspection protection, and I am unsure whether repair credits should be discussed now or only after significant findings.
 
Four per cent is not inherently aggressive after 106 days, particularly if the unit needs work. I’d keep the rationale short: limited evidence from completed comparables, the updating required, and the certainty offered by your financing and flexible timing. Don’t turn it into a list of defects.

I would retain inspection and financing protection. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline, rather than making it sound like an ultimatum.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Has the agent explained why it has sat for 106 days or whether earlier offers failed? Time on market alone does not prove willingness to discount.

I also wouldn’t ask for both a 4% reduction and vaguely defined repair credits. Either price known work into the offer or reserve credits for significant inspection findings. What happens if the lender’s valuation is below your offer—and how much deposit would be exposed at that stage?
 
I agree with Ines that the appraisal gap matters more than whether 4% sounds polite. Before submitting, ask your lender what evidence is still required and have a Barcelona professional explain exactly when any deposit becomes non-refundable under the proposed documents.

Then send a clean written offer: price, financing proof, completion flexibility, inspection condition, financing/valuation condition, and expiry time. If the seller counters, you can adjust price or timing without casually surrendering those protections.
 
Back
Top