Offering 5% below asking on a Chicago country home after 61 days

lina_brooks

First-time buyer
The seller is asking $1,120,000, and I’m hesitant to meet that figure without stronger evidence from completed sales. The Chicago country home has been listed for 61 days, needs some updating, and similar nearby properties are being advertised around the same level, but asking prices only tell me so much.

I’m considering an opening offer of $1,064,000, which is 5% under the list price. Our financing is sound and we can accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing. Would you keep the explanation limited to condition, market time and the thin comparable evidence? I’m also unsure how long a response deadline should be.

I would retain inspection and financing protections. If the appraisal comes in low, should the offer set a limit on any gap now, or leave that discussion until there is a valuation?
 
That opening doesn’t strike me as insulting after 61 days. Keep the explanation short: condition, limited evidence from completed comparables, and your flexibility on timing. Include financing proof, but don’t dress the offer up as a verdict on what the home is “really worth.”
 
Do you know whether the seller has reduced the price already, or whether there have been failed offers? Sixty-one days can mean overpricing, but it can also mean a previous buyer withdrew. The answer changes how much weight I’d put on time listed.
 
Also, separate the updating you can see from unknown defects. I wouldn’t ask for a lower price because of dated finishes and then expect another reduction for those same finishes after inspection. Reserve later discussions for material issues that weren’t apparent when you offered.
 
I’d keep inspection protection. Clean financing does not make the building’s condition predictable, and a country home may have more components to investigate than the interior alone. The exact inspection language and deadlines are jurisdiction-specific, so have the contract wording checked locally.
 
I disagree slightly on leading with the lack of completed comparables. That may sound like you are transferring your uncertainty to the seller. An offer at $1,064,000, financing evidence, a flexible date and a reasonable response deadline can stand on their own.
 
The appraisal gap is the bigger issue for me. If your lender’s appraisal comes in below the contract price, how much extra cash could you contribute without affecting the renovation budget? Decide that ceiling before negotiating, not after the seller counters.
 
And don’t confuse “clean” with “unprotected.” You can make the financing contingency precise and submit strong proof of funds or lender documentation without waiving it entirely. The seller gets evidence that you can perform; you retain protection if the expected loan is unavailable.
 
A short response deadline is useful, but don’t make it theatrical. Give enough time for the seller to consider the terms while preventing the offer from sitting open indefinitely. Your agent can ask what timing is practical before submitting.
 
One missing fact: are there known applications, permissions or proposed works affecting the property? If “planning applications” refers to your intended updates, confirm feasibility before assigning those plans any value. An attractive renovation idea is not the same as an approved project.
 
Good distinction. I’d ask for whatever property and alteration information is properly available in Chicago, then make the inspection period long enough to investigate concerns. Don’t assume an application means approval, or that no visible paperwork means the work is impossible.
 
Seller motivation may matter more than the 5%. Flexibility on completion is valuable only if it matches what the seller needs. Ask whether they prefer speed, extra time, or certainty. You may be able to hold the price line by accommodating their schedule.
 
On repair credits, set expectations now. If the inspection finds a serious undisclosed problem, seek a credit, repair or exit under the contract. If it merely confirms that the kitchen is old, that was already reflected in your opening rationale.
 
I’d avoid submitting a long list of supposed renovation costs with the offer. Sellers often view that as a buyer redesigning the house at their expense. Two or three objective points are stronger than an itemised wishlist.
 
How competitive is the current situation? If there are other active offers, 5% below may simply lose rather than start a negotiation. If there aren’t, 61 days and flexible timing give you room. Asking that question through the agents is more useful than guessing from listing age.
 
Even with competition, I wouldn’t automatically raise the opening without completed sales. Another offer proves interest, not value. Decide the highest price you can support from the property, appraisal risk and updating budget, then let the seller choose.
 
Deposit exposure deserves the same advance decision. Understand when it becomes non-refundable under the actual contract and what happens if you miss inspection, financing or appraisal deadlines. A larger deposit may signal seriousness, but it should not be used casually to compensate for a lower price.
 
Exactly. Price, deposit and waived contingencies are three different kinds of risk. A buyer can improve one term without surrendering all three. In this case, flexible completion plus clear financing evidence sounds like the safest way to strengthen the offer.
 
My suggested wording would be very plain: the offer reflects the home’s present condition and the limited completed-sale evidence available, while your financing and timing remain flexible. No criticism of the décor, no claim that the seller priced it incorrectly.
 
Before settling on 5%, compare the likely cost of essential work with optional updating. Roof, structure or services may affect what you can safely pay; paint and finishes are preferences. Inspection should help distinguish them, but your initial budget should already leave some room for uncertainty.
 
Back
Top