Offering 8% below asking on a $185,000 San Francisco villa

SamCove

Buyer
Getting the offer wrong could either end the negotiation early or leave me paying too much without adequate protection. I’m considering a San Francisco villa at $185,000 that has been listed for 45 days and needs updating. An 8% reduction would put my opening figure at about $170,200, but similar active listings do not tell me what completed deals have achieved.

Before submitting anything, I plan to ask about earlier reductions, rejected offers and the seller’s preferred completion timing. I can provide financing proof and accommodate their timetable if that has genuine value. How would you connect the price to the condition and available evidence without producing a list of minor faults? I’d also like views on retaining inspection, appraisal and financing contingencies, as well as limiting deposit exposure if an expensive issue emerges.
 
I’d keep the explanation factual and short: 45 days available, updating required, and limited evidence from completed comparables. Pair the offer with financing proof and your flexible timing rather than itemising every dated feature.

I would keep inspection, financing and appraisal protection. An 8% discount is recoverable in negotiation; waiving protection against a major defect or appraisal gap could cost much more.
 
Before settling on 8%, do you know whether the seller has already reduced the price or rejected other offers? Forty-five days can suggest room to negotiate, but seller motivation matters more. Also ask whether completion flexibility actually benefits them. If they need a quick sale, a flexible but vague date may not strengthen your offer.
 
I disagree slightly with presenting the lack of completed comparables as a reason for a lower price. That uncertainty cuts both ways and may sound like you picked a discount first. Base the offer on visible updating and any completed sales you can support, however few. Give a reasonable response deadline so it remains a serious proposal, not an open-ended attempt to test the seller.
 
Be careful not to negotiate the same work twice. If the initial price already reflects obvious updating, reserve later repair requests for significant inspection findings rather than cosmetic items. You could state that clearly with the offer. If inspection uncovers something expensive, then decide whether a repair credit, price adjustment or withdrawal makes sense under the agreed terms.
 
The appraisal gap deserves separate thought. A lender’s valuation below the contract price could leave you funding the difference, even if financing is otherwise approved. Decide your maximum cash contribution before offering and make sure the financing and appraisal wording matches that limit. The exact effect of the contingencies and deposit terms depends on the contract used in your jurisdiction, so have the wording checked locally.
 
Also pin down deposit exposure. How much is due, when does it become at risk, and what happens if inspection, appraisal or financing fails within the stated periods? “Clean financing” should mean credible proof and an organised application, not surrendering every exit. A strong offer can still contain clear deadlines and protections.
 
My practical sequence would be: request the best available completed comparables, ask about prior price changes and the seller’s preferred completion date, then submit the roughly $170,200 offer with financing proof. Keep the rationale to one paragraph and set a definite response deadline. If they counter, negotiate price before trading away inspection or taking on an unlimited appraisal gap.
 
Back
Top