Osaka country home at ¥146.1m and ¥836,000 rent — does the yield survive?

knitsAndHarbor

Property investor
Established
I want the advertised 6.9% yield to hold up, but the rent assumption is the main obstacle. This is a 3-bedroom country home in Osaka priced at ¥146,100,000, with expected monthly rent of ¥836,000. That produces ¥10,032,000 a year before any costs.

My model deducts vacancy, management fees, routine upkeep and a reserve for a substantial repair. It looks acceptable in a normal year and much weaker once I allow for slower tenant replacement or higher management expense. I have not yet established whether ¥836,000 reflects signed comparable rents or only current advertisements.

What else should be a separate line rather than absorbed into a broad expense allowance—property tax, insurance, leasing costs or something specific to this type of home? I’d also be interested in how others set a minimum net return: one threshold if the rent is supported by completed leases, and a higher one if demand depends on a narrow tenant pool.
 
The gross calculation is right, but I would not choose a target net yield until you know whether ¥836,000 is an achievable long-term rent rather than an optimistic asking figure. At that level, even a modest vacancy period has a noticeable cash-flow impact. Add property tax and insurance as separate lines rather than hiding them in a general expense percentage.
 
Where in Osaka is it, and what supports the rent estimate? “Country home” suggests a narrower tenant pool than a standard city apartment. Comparable signed rents, expected marketing time and likely lease length matter more here than the headline yield. Also, is this an all-cash calculation or financed? Interest and repayment sensitivity could turn a marginal year negative.
 
I disagree slightly that the missing local cost is the main issue. The largest uncertainty looks like income. If ¥836,000/month depends on a very specific tenant profile, turnover could mean both vacancy and extra preparation costs between occupants. I would model a lower-rent case as well as a bad-year repair case.
 
One more thought: separate recurring economics from shocks. First calculate net income in an ordinary occupied year after management, tax, insurance and routine maintenance. Then run independent scenarios for vacancy, reduced rent and a large repair. Combining everything into one “conservative” percentage can conceal which assumption actually breaks the deal.
 
For a country home, I would also inspect what sits outside the building budget: grounds, drainage, access and exterior upkeep can create recurring work even when the structure looks sound. That does not mean the property is poor, but a generic apartment-style maintenance allowance may not fit it. Obtain property-specific insurance and tax figures rather than estimates before deciding on an acceptable net yield.
 
My next step would be to ask for three things: evidence behind the ¥836,000 rent, the property’s actual recurring outgoings, and realistic management terms for that location and property type. Then stress-test lower rent, tenant turnover and financing costs separately. I would only proceed if the net yield still leaves a worthwhile cushion after those cases; 6.9% gross alone is not enough to establish that.
 
Back
Top