Osaka first-time buyer: is ¥6,579,000 enough cash after closing?

SageChalk

First-time buyer
Established
The remaining cash looks adequate only if the first few bills arrive separately. My concern is that they may all fall due around completion.

I’m considering a five-bedroom Osaka apartment costing about ¥207,300,000 and expect to retain roughly ¥6,579,000 after the deposit and projected purchase expenses. That reserve would need to cover the move, essential inspection findings, initial household purchases and a genuine emergency buffer. I also need to confirm current service charges, the insurance excess and the date of the first mortgage debit.

How would you prioritise those demands without committing too much to furniture or cosmetic work? I am willing to buy below my borrowing limit because rebuilding cash after completion seems harder than delaying non-essential purchases.
 
I wouldn’t divide it by fixed percentages. First ring-fence an emergency fund based on your normal household spending, then separately reserve the known moving and property costs. Furniture comes last and can be bought room by room.

Given the purchase price, ¥6,579,000 doesn’t leave much room for several surprises arriving together. Any inspection item affecting safety or preventing further damage should take priority over cosmetic work.
 
Have you seen the apartment’s current service charges and any planned building work, rather than just estimated your own unit repairs? In an apartment, a sound inspection inside the property does not eliminate building-level costs.

I’d also ask for the exact payment dates around completion. The first mortgage payment, insurance, moving invoice and initial service charge can cluster even if each was included somewhere in the budget.
 
That clustering is the gap in my spreadsheet. I had treated the ¥6,579,000 as one general buffer, but I can see that some of it is already spoken for even if the bills arrive after closing. I’ll get the service-charge details and payment timetable before deciding what is genuinely available for repairs. Furniture can definitely wait; we don’t need to fill all five bedrooms immediately.
 
I’d be more cautious than jonas about calling the remainder adequate once an emergency fund is protected. An inspection may identify visible issues, but it cannot guarantee a quiet first year. At this price, reducing the offer budget may give you more resilience than trying to allocate the same ¥6,579,000 perfectly.

Set a minimum cash balance you refuse to cross. If moving, essential work and scheduled charges would take you below it, the apartment is above your comfortable maximum.
 
Before committing, make a dated cash-flow list rather than a category-only budget: completion payments, first mortgage debit, moving, insurance and its excess, service charges, then inspection items ranked as urgent, soon or cosmetic. Add only essential furniture for move-in.

Also ask the lender, agent and building management separately what is due and when; don’t assume one party’s estimate includes another party’s charges. If the lowest projected balance feels uncomfortable, renegotiate, delay optional spending or target a cheaper apartment.
 
Back
Top