Paris sale fell through on financing: relist now or strengthen the next offer?

clear_lane

Seller
Established
Relisting too quickly could preserve momentum, but it could also send us back into the same financing problem with another buyer. Our Paris sale stopped several weeks into the process when the purchaser failed to meet the finance condition. No inspection issue caused the collapse, although future buyers will understandably ask why the property returned.

I am leaning toward a brief pause: confirm whether the failure was specific to that buyer or connected to the lender’s valuation, review the document package, and prepare a clear explanation before going back to market. If the agreed value was the issue, recent completed comparables may matter more than simply refreshing the listing.

For the next offer, how would you balance price against verified funding, finance conditions and achievable deadlines? The response date felt much more consequential once we were actually waiting on it. I would also like to understand whether repair credits, deposit treatment or other terms should be reviewed under the French process before we accept again.
 
I’d take a short pause to make sure the document package and explanation are clear, then relist without automatically cutting the price. “Buyer could not complete financing; no inspection problem identified” is a much better account than leaving people to speculate. For the next offer, strength of financing and realistic deadlines would matter more to me than squeezing out the final amount.
 
Do you know whether the financing failed because of the buyer’s circumstances or because the lender valued the property below the agreed price? That missing fact changes the decision. A buyer-specific problem says little about your price; an appraisal gap could recur. I’d also ask how the buyer’s financing condition and any deposit were treated, because that depends on the agreement and the French process.
 
I disagree slightly with taking a lower offer just because it arrives with impressive-looking proof. Funds for a deposit are not the same as approval for the full purchase, and approvals can still carry conditions. Compare the whole offer: financing dependence, deadlines, proposed inspection protection, flexibility over minor repairs and what happens if the lender’s valuation is short.
 
Make a simple comparison sheet before new offers arrive. Include price, amount needing finance, evidence supplied, response deadline, inspection terms, any requested repair credit, possible appraisal gap and deposit exposure if the buyer withdraws. Some of those points will need local clarification, but writing them side by side helps prevent the highest headline price from winning automatically.
 
Thanks, this is helping me separate two decisions that I had bundled together. I don’t yet know whether the financing failure was mainly buyer-specific or connected to the lender’s view of the property, so I’ll try to clarify that before changing the price. I’m leaning toward refreshing the documents, preparing a brief factual explanation and then relisting rather than making an immediate reduction.
 
Before changing the asking price, look at genuinely completed comparable sales rather than current listings. If nothing relevant has completed since you first marketed the property, one failed buyer is weak evidence that the price itself was wrong. A quick relisting can show steady seller motivation; a rushed reduction may instead suggest there is a hidden property issue when you say the inspection was fine.
 
Be careful about treating a larger deposit as protection without understanding when it could actually be retained or returned. Financing conditions, deadlines and deposit consequences are jurisdiction-specific and depend on the wording agreed. I’d have the next offer checked locally, especially if you are tempted to shorten the financing period simply to avoid another long wait.
 
Your revised plan sounds sensible. I’d relist once the paperwork and explanation are ready, keep the current price unless completed comparables or a valuation issue support changing it, and ask each buyer the same financing questions. Set a response deadline you can genuinely enforce, but don’t make it so aggressive that a solid financed buyer cannot complete reasonable checks. If two offers are close, the cleaner and more credible route to completion may justify accepting slightly less.
 
Back
Top