Phoenix 4-bed at $1,115,000 renting for $7,581/month — does it work?

BoldSlate

Property investor
The surprising part was how quickly the advertised 8.2% became less convincing once I converted it into likely cash flow. This is a 4-bed coastal-style home in Phoenix at $1,115,000, with projected rent of $7,581 a month, or $90,972 a year.

I can allow for vacancy and ordinary repairs, but broad percentages may hide the costs that matter here. I still need the address-specific property-tax record, an insurance quote, realistic management charges and evidence of recent cooling-system work. I also need to establish whether $7,581 is rent already being collected or simply a projection.

Would you first test the property without debt and then add the intended financing, or judge it directly on net cash flow after loan payments? I am trying to distinguish a modest property-level return from a deal that becomes negative once financing and a major repair coincide.
 
Start with the actual property-tax record, an insurance quote for this address and recent utility or HVAC service information. Those are more useful than broad allowances, especially in Phoenix. I’d also clarify whether $7,581 is rent already being paid or merely an asking estimate. One other point: does “coastal-style” describe the architecture? Phoenix obviously isn’t coastal, so make sure the listing language isn’t obscuring a location mismatch.
 
I wouldn’t choose a required net yield until financing is added. At $90,972 gross annual rent, even modest changes in vacancy, management and repairs can materially reduce the apparent 8.2%. Then debt payments may turn an acceptable property-level return into weak or negative cash flow.

Run separate cases for cash purchase and your intended loan. Don’t mix mortgage principal into operating expenses, but do test the interest cost and renewal or refinancing risk.
 
Leila’s point about whether the rent is contractual matters more than debating small expense percentages. If $7,581 is projected, ask for the comparable leases supporting it and test a lower-rent case. I’d disagree slightly on utilities: responsibility may sit with the tenant, so verify the lease structure before charging every bill to the owner. HVAC replacement and servicing still belong in the ownership model.
 
Tenant turnover may be the hidden swing factor. A 4-bed home can have a smaller pool of qualified tenants at that rent, and one changeover can combine vacancy, cleaning, repairs and leasing expense. I’d model turnover as an event rather than relying only on a smooth annual vacancy percentage. Also check whether landscaping or pool care, if applicable, is expected to be included in the rent rather than assuming the tenant pays.
 
I wouldn’t set a universal net-yield hurdle without comparing alternatives and the amount of leverage, but I would require the deal to survive three stresses: rent below $7,581, a longer vacancy between tenants and a major repair occurring earlier than expected. Get address-specific tax and insurance figures, confirm who pays each recurring service, and price the transaction fees before deciding. If the cash flow becomes marginal under just one of those cases, the 8.2% headline is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top