Renovation budget for a 540 sq ft mixed-use building in Seattle

SagePath

Property investor
I can either keep the full renovation brief and risk an inadequate reserve, or cut items now without knowing which savings are actually useful. Neither feels sensible before the building has been opened up.

The working budget is $104,600 for a 540 sq ft mixed-use property in Seattle. It covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decorating, electrical review and some energy improvements; there is no planned extension. Concealed plumbing, moisture and any structural work discovered during access are the main worries.

What contingency would you keep separate? I would also appreciate a practical list of what the surveyor should investigate and what each contractor should state as an assumption or exclusion, including sequencing and making good after access.
 
With that many systems in a small building, I’d initially hold 15–20% outside the working scope, leaning toward the upper end if walls and floors have not been opened. Ask every bidder to state assumptions and exclusions in writing, especially for electrical corrections, concealed plumbing and water damage. Also clarify whether permit costs, debris removal and making good after access work are included.
 
What does mixed-use mean here in practical terms—separate residential and commercial areas, or one flexible space? That could affect sequencing and what the permit discussion needs to cover. I’d also want to know whether the kitchen and bathrooms stay in their existing positions. Moving wet services would change the uncertainty far more than upgrading finishes.
 
I agree with Gabriel on written exclusions, but not necessarily with treating the full 20% as inevitable spending. Keep it reserved, then release it only after demolition and initial trade inspections. Otherwise the project can quietly absorb the contingency through upgrades that were optional rather than through genuine concealed conditions.
 
For contractor interviews, I’d ask: Where will plumbing be accessed? What happens if existing wiring cannot support the proposed work? Who repairs walls and floors after trade access? Which moisture-related repairs are excluded? What items must be selected or ordered before demolition? The answers should also reveal whether the proposed schedule is genuinely coordinated or just a list of trade durations.
 
One caveat: “no structural extension” does not automatically mean no structural work. Opening walls, changing heavy fixtures or discovering deterioration can still create questions. I wouldn’t add speculative structural work to the base budget, but I would ask what visible conditions would trigger further investigation and who has authority to stop work before costs escalate.
 
Permit timing and material lead times should be separated from construction duration. Before signing, request a simple sequence showing permit submission, ordering, demolition, inspections, rough electrical and plumbing, closing walls, finishes and final completion. For anything with a long lead time, identify an acceptable substitute now rather than after the room has been designed around it.
 
A sensible next step is to turn the $104,600 into three columns: confirmed scope, allowances, and contingency. Then have bidders mark each line as included, excluded or dependent on investigation. That makes competing prices more comparable and helps you simplify deliberately—finishes and optional energy measures first—without cutting access work, moisture investigation or essential electrical and plumbing corrections.
 
Back
Top