Rental deal in Berlin: €993,600 purchase, €4,060/month — sanity check

zane_heath

Property investor
I’d like the rent to make this workable. The obstacle is how quickly the margin disappears once owner costs are included.

The listing is for a 5-bed property in Berlin, described as a coastal home, at €993,600. Expected rent is €4,060 a month, or €48,720 annually, which produces a gross yield of about 4.9%. I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and one substantial repair, but property tax and financing sensitivity remain uncertain.

Before going further I also need to confirm what the unusual property description means and whether the quoted rent includes running costs. Which Berlin expense would you insist on pricing from an actual bill or quote, and at what net return would this begin to look worthwhile?
 
First establish whether €4,060 is cold rent or includes tenant-paid running costs. The annual rent is €48,720, so even modest owner-only expenses make the 4.9% shrink quickly. I’d want firm figures for property tax, insurance and management rather than percentage assumptions. Personally, I would struggle to justify this near 3% net before financing.
 
One more question: why is it described as a “coastal home” if the location is Berlin? That may be harmless listing language, but it makes me wonder whether the property type or location has been carried over incorrectly. Confirm those basics before refining the spreadsheet.
 
I wouldn’t assume property tax is the main danger. On a 5-bed property, maintenance and tenant turnover can be lumpier than an annual allowance suggests. A vacancy estimate may cover lost rent but not repainting, repairs and management work between occupancies. Stress-test one empty period plus a substantial repair in the same year; if the deal becomes uncomfortable, the margin is too thin.
 
Financing sensitivity matters too. Run three versions: cash purchase, expected borrowing terms, and a higher-cost refinancing scenario. Keep acquisition costs separate from operating yield so the comparison stays clear. Before proceeding, obtain the actual tax and insurance amounts, clarify cold versus warm rent, and verify what management covers. I’d set the required net yield first, based on your alternatives, rather than letting the advertised 4.9% anchor the decision.
 
Back
Top