Rental deal in London: £315,900 purchase, £1,418/month — sanity check?

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
Getting this wrong could leave us with a first rental that shows a 5.4% gross yield but produces little or no cash after financing and building costs. The property is a 4-bed London apartment priced at £315,900, with projected rent of £1,418 per month.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary repairs and a maintenance reserve. Even so, a seemingly sound apartment could be undermined by high service charges, planned communal works or a lease that restricts lending and resale. I also need to confirm whether £1,418 assumes a single tenancy or room-by-room letting. Which figures would you verify before deciding whether the remaining net return is adequate?
 
For an apartment, I’d focus first on the service charge, any ground rent, and the possibility of major works. A building can look fine while still having expensive communal projects planned. Get the lease details, recent service-charge accounts and information on proposed works before trusting the model. Also establish whether buildings insurance is included in the service charge so you don’t omit or double-count it.
 
Is the £1,418 based on one tenancy for the whole 4-bed apartment, or letting individual rooms? That changes the likely turnover, management burden and who may pay council tax and utilities. I’d also verify that figure against achieved rents rather than an advertised asking rent. With financing, run the cash flow at a higher interest cost as well as today’s expected payment.
 
I’d go further than Miguel: lease length is not merely another expense line. It can affect the pool of future buyers and the practicality of refinancing, so a superficially acceptable net yield may not compensate for a weak exit.

Model the deal twice—cash and financed—then deduct acquisition costs, service charges, insurance not already included, vacancy, management, maintenance and turnover costs. At 5.4% gross there isn’t a huge cushion, so I wouldn’t choose an arbitrary net-yield target until the lease and letting structure are clear.
 
Back
Top