Rome 3-bed at €556,600 and €1,474/month: does the rental math work?

GreenPost

Property manager
Established
Verified Pro
I need to decide soon whether this is worth pursuing, and the trade-off is a seemingly stable property against a very thin return. It is a 3-bed condo in Rome at €556,600, with projected rent of €1,474 a month. On the headline numbers, the gross yield is about 3.2%.

This would be our first rental. I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and an occasional major bill, but condo charges could still turn an acceptable forecast into a poor one. Insurance and the cost of tenant changes are less certain as well.

Would you reject the deal at this yield, or continue only if the charge history and achieved-rent evidence come back clean? I’m particularly interested in the building-level expense that first-time landlords tend to miss.
 
The annual rent is €17,688, so there is very little room between the gross return and a disappointing net result. I’d focus first on non-recoverable condo charges and possible common-area works. Get a written breakdown of recent charges and anything planned, rather than relying on the current monthly figure. Acquisition and initial setup costs also matter when assessing the overall return.
 
Is this a cash purchase or financed? Debt could change the answer substantially, especially if the model is sensitive to the interest rate or repayment structure.

I’d also question the €1,474 figure. Is it supported by an agreed tenancy, comparable achieved rents, or merely an asking estimate? A small rent shortfall plus one turnover period could consume much of an already thin yield.
 
I partly disagree with Gabriel’s emphasis on acquisition costs. They matter greatly to total return, but they are one-off costs rather than the main threat to annual net cash flow. For that, I’d want exact figures for property tax, insurance and the portion of service charges the owner must bear. Keep those separate from the repair reserve so nothing is counted twice.
 
Also, model this in euros rather than stopping at yield percentages. Start with the €17,688 annual rent and deduct every item individually. Then run a normal year, a vacancy year and a year with an unusually large building or unit expense. If one bad year creates a cash call you would find uncomfortable, the headline yield is not compensating you.
 
Before deciding, I’d request figures specific to this condo: the service-charge split, known common works, an insurance quote, the applicable property-tax estimate, a management quote and evidence supporting the expected rent. Rome-wide averages won’t answer unit-specific questions. Local tax treatment can also depend on the exact circumstances, so that figure is worth confirming professionally.
 
One more distinction: calculate both net operating yield before financing and cash flow after financing. Otherwise a weak property return can be confused with the effect of the loan. Purchase costs should be included when measuring return on the total cash committed, even if they do not appear as a recurring annual expense.
 
There isn’t a universal net yield that compensates for the risk. I’d compare the projected net income with less hands-on alternatives, then demand an additional margin for illiquidity, tenant turnover and concentration in one property. With only 3.2% gross, the deal has little tolerance for optimistic assumptions. If it works only with full occupancy and no surprises, I would renegotiate or walk away.
 
Vacancy deserves more detail than a single percentage. Model a turnover event: lost rent, cleaning or repairs, management or reletting expense, and the timing gap before income resumes. Those costs can arrive together.

I’d make the decision from the stressed cash flow, not the average year. If the stressed version is acceptable and the property still has a clear reason to own it, continue with due diligence; otherwise the low gross yield has already answered the question.
 
Back
Top