post.field
Homeowner
Getting this wrong could leave me paying entry and exit costs on a home I hold for only five to seven years. I currently rent a Singapore apartment comparable to one offered at about S$1,032,000. After mortgage expense, tax, maintenance and building charges, the ownership option is clearly dearer each month.
The usual argument is that repayments create equity, but that does not automatically offset financing costs, tied-up capital or an uncertain resale. A counterpoint is that continuing to rent leaves me exposed to future rent changes and provides no ownership stake.
I’m trying to compare both paths using completed sales for genuinely similar units rather than asking prices. What building records would help assess shared reserves, planned common works and the chance of more intensive maintenance? I would also like to test resale liquidity and tenant demand in case my plans change and selling immediately is unattractive.
The usual argument is that repayments create equity, but that does not automatically offset financing costs, tied-up capital or an uncertain resale. A counterpoint is that continuing to rent leaves me exposed to future rent changes and provides no ownership stake.
I’m trying to compare both paths using completed sales for genuinely similar units rather than asking prices. What building records would help assess shared reserves, planned common works and the chance of more intensive maintenance? I would also like to test resale liquidity and tenant demand in case my plans change and selling immediately is unattractive.