S$1.032m apartment: buy despite high building fees or keep renting?

post.field

Homeowner
Getting this wrong could leave me paying entry and exit costs on a home I hold for only five to seven years. I currently rent a Singapore apartment comparable to one offered at about S$1,032,000. After mortgage expense, tax, maintenance and building charges, the ownership option is clearly dearer each month.

The usual argument is that repayments create equity, but that does not automatically offset financing costs, tied-up capital or an uncertain resale. A counterpoint is that continuing to rent leaves me exposed to future rent changes and provides no ownership stake.

I’m trying to compare both paths using completed sales for genuinely similar units rather than asking prices. What building records would help assess shared reserves, planned common works and the chance of more intensive maintenance? I would also like to test resale liquidity and tenant demand in case my plans change and selling immediately is unattractive.
 
One gap in my comparison is the building itself. What should I ask for to understand the condition of shared-building reserves, insurance exposure and whether maintenance is likely to become more intensive? A low current fee would not help much if major common works were approaching.
 
With a five-to-seven-year horizon, I would start from the assumption that renting wins unless the purchase case remains convincing after both entry and exit costs. Equity is not the same as a saving: part of each payment covers financing, while your capital is tied up and the eventual selling time and price are uncertain.

For the building, compare several years of fees and planned works rather than one month’s bill. Also compare completed sales by unit size, age and condition, not just location.
 
I wouldn’t automatically give renting the win. If comparable rents rise or tenant demand is strong, ownership may provide useful stability, and five to seven years is not necessarily a very short stay.

The missing fact is whether the apartment could sensibly be rented out if Amir moves rather than sold immediately. That introduces vacancy risk and management workload, but it changes the resale-timing problem. Energy use and insurance should also be compared on the actual unit and building, not estimated from generic apartments.
 
I’d run three scenarios: sell after five years, sell after seven, and move out but retain it temporarily. For each, separate principal repaid from interest and other ownership costs, then allow for a slower sale, higher building fees and some vacancy in the rental scenario.

Before deciding, ask for the fee history, reserve position, planned common works and recent completed comparable sales. If buying only looks better under optimistic resale assumptions, the flexibility of the current rental has real value.
 
Back
Top