Sanity-check on 8.30% fixed mortgage quote in Warsaw

path.wild

Property investor
My main constraint is monthly affordability, although I do not want a cheaper payment to hide a worse overall deal. The purchase is around PLN 2,350,000 in Warsaw, and one quote is fixed at 8.30% over 20 years. Fees and the lender's equity band make the headline rates difficult to compare directly.

Should I model the cash paid over the period I am likely to keep the mortgage, rather than rely mainly on APR? The best offers are close on the monthly payment, so I am also comparing early-exit costs and portability. I do not want the calculation to depend on being able to refinance later.
 
I would compare actual cash flows over the period you realistically expect to keep the loan, with all compulsory upfront fees included. APR is useful as a first filter, but it may not reflect your likely exit date. Run at least three cases: keep for 20 years, repay early, and refinance. Flexibility only wins if the relevant fees and restrictions do not erase the small monthly saving.
 
What loan-to-value band are you in, and are both offers being calculated on exactly the same borrowed amount? A lower advertised rate can become irrelevant if it assumes more equity or excludes arrangement costs. I would also ask each lender for a repayment schedule and the cash amount needed to exit at several dates, rather than comparing percentages alone.
 
I would be cautious about treating portability as decisive. It sounds valuable, but its usefulness depends on the detailed conditions and whether a future property and loan still qualify. Rate-reset risk may also be irrelevant if 20 years covers the whole planned borrowing period, but important if it does not. Put both quotes into one table: upfront cash, monthly payment, balance after each likely exit year, early-repayment cost, and portability conditions. Then compare the same timeline rather than relying on headline rates.
 
Back
Top