Structuring a 5%-below offer on a Rio warehouse without giving up protection

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
I can either offer close to R$1,708,000 and hope the condition is manageable, or open 5% lower and risk the seller dismissing me. Neither feels sensible without better evidence from completed sales.

The warehouse has been listed for 63 days, so I’m considering R$1,622,600 backed by financing evidence and accommodating timing. I would explain the figure through the limited sales evidence and the work required, rather than criticising the property. What response deadline would be reasonable?

I also want inspection protection, a clear limit on deposit exposure and a way out if the appraisal does not support the price. If the seller expects me to cover an appraisal gap, I would rather set a maximum amount now than leave it open-ended. Which of those terms would you regard as essential?
 
Five percent below does not strike me as aggressive in that situation. Present it as a considered offer rather than a criticism of the warehouse: limited completed comparables, required updating, strong financing documentation and flexibility on timing. I would keep inspection and financing protection. An agent’s claim about another buyer’s terms is not a reason to assume unknown repair or funding risk.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here? Cosmetic work is one thing; problems affecting the roof, structure, electrical capacity or warehouse operations could change the price substantially. I would identify those concerns before deciding whether to request a lower price now or preserve the ability to seek a repair credit after inspection.
 
I’d avoid submitting a vague offer followed by a long list of demands. Put the price, financing evidence, requested completion flexibility, contingencies and a reasonable response deadline together in one clear package. The rationale can be two sentences: completed-sale evidence is limited, and the property’s present condition requires further expenditure. No need to tell the seller the asking price is wrong.
 
A caveat: 63 days on the market does not automatically mean the seller is ready to discount. A specialised warehouse may simply have a smaller buyer pool, and the seller might prefer to wait. The 5% opening is still defensible, but decide your maximum before offering so a counteroffer does not turn into improvised bidding against yourself.
 
Seller motivation matters more than trying to win the argument over comparables. Your flexible completion date may be valuable if their timing is the issue. Ask the agent whether price, speed, certainty of financing or completion timing matters most. They may not disclose much, but the response could help you shape the offer without weakening the protections.
 
Separate the risks. Inspection protection addresses condition; financing protection addresses whether the lender funds; appraisal language addresses what happens if the valuation is below the agreed price. “Clean financing” should mean organised evidence and prompt action, not pretending those risks do not exist. Have the contract wording and deposit consequences checked for this Rio transaction before signing.
 
I disagree slightly with leading on the updating costs. Sellers often regard visible condition as already reflected in their asking price. The lack of reliable completed comparables is the stronger explanation for a cautious opening. Let an inspection produce specific findings later; otherwise an unsupported repair allowance can look like an attempt to discount the property twice.
 
That is fair. I would make the initial R$1,622,600 offer based mainly on uncertainty around completed prices, then keep condition as the reason inspection remains necessary—not as a made-up deduction. If the seller counters, the useful question becomes whether the buyer can absorb any appraisal gap as well as the updating costs.
 
Also pin down deposit exposure before improving the number. A higher offer with a poorly defined route out can be much riskier than the original 5% discount suggests. The buyer should understand when the deposit becomes exposed and what happens after an unsatisfactory inspection, failed financing or low appraisal. Those details depend on the actual contract and jurisdiction.
 
Repair credits can preserve the headline price, but they are not automatically better. The seller may resist them, and a lender or appraisal process may treat the arrangement differently from a straightforward price reduction. If inspection finds something significant, compare the practical effect of a credit, seller-completed work and a reduced price rather than demanding one particular remedy in advance.
 
One more point on the response deadline: make it long enough for the seller to consider the full package, but not open-ended. If the agent keeps invoking another buyer, a defined expiry forces a real response without requiring you to waive inspection. I would not shorten the deadline merely to manufacture urgency unless you are genuinely prepared to walk away.
 
The sensible package seems to be R$1,622,600, proof that financing is organised, flexibility on completion, and clearly drafted protection for inspection, financing and appraisal. Keep the explanation neutral and brief. If they reject it solely because someone else will accept more risk, let that buyer take the risk; you can increase price later if justified, but you cannot easily undo a waived contingency.
 
Back
Top