Tokyo coastal sample down 1.6% — seasonal dip or listing mix?

walksAndKey

Property investor
Established
I’m deciding whether to make an offer now or wait for a clearer trend. In a small sample of Tokyo coastal properties listed from ¥32,440,000 to ¥48,650,000, prices moved down 1.6% and median marketing time was about 67 days. Condition made the average quite noisy, and local agents have given me different explanations.

I’m now looking for recent completed sales rather than asking prices. One point I still cannot settle is property tax: are buyers negotiating when the stated burden looks unattractive, or simply moving to another listing?
 
I wouldn’t treat the 1.6% movement as a market signal yet. With a small sample, a few older or poor-condition properties can pull it around. Completed sales will help, but also count withdrawn listings. If overpriced stock disappears rather than sells after a reduction, the visible sample may look healthier than the actual seller response.
 
If the sample is defined badly, waiting for the “trend” could lead you to miss a suitable property for the wrong reason. Check whether the coastal label combines neighbourhoods with different demand, condition and seller behaviour. Then separate reductions on the same listings from a change in which properties are visible. A 1.6% fall caused by poor-condition stock entering the sample—or overpriced homes being withdrawn—would not support the same offer decision as genuine cuts by motivated sellers.
 
I would not assume buyers simply ignore the tax point. An unexpectedly high annual cost can change someone’s total budget, particularly when financing is already tight. But that does not mean the seller will reduce the price to compensate. Ask for the actual figure and what period it relates to before treating agents’ general comments as evidence.
 
The 67 days may be more useful when paired with price-cut timing. A property that sits for 67 days unchanged is different from one cut after two weeks and sold later. Seller motivation matters too: reductions clustered shortly after listing could reflect ambitious initial pricing, not weakening demand.
 
I partly disagree with waiting for a perfectly clear trend. By the time completed-sale evidence confirms a movement, the relevant listings may have changed. I’d monitor new-listing volume alongside financing conditions: if suitable stock is increasing while buyers face tighter monthly budgets, that gives you more room to be selective even without proving a broad Tokyo decline.
 
On the tax issue, I’d separate two questions: whether the recurring cost makes the property unsuitable for you, and whether it gives you bargaining power. The first is under your control; the second depends on competing interest and seller motivation. A tax figure is not automatically a negotiating lever just because it looks high compared with another property.
 
A simple table should clear up much of this: same neighbourhood boundary, initial asking price, latest price, days listed, condition notes, tax figure, and whether the listing sold, remained active, or was withdrawn. Keep completed sales in a separate column. That will show whether the 1.6% is broad-based or driven by a handful of compromised properties.
 
I’d take that table to each agent and ask identical questions about three close comparables: when the first reduction occurred, whether there were competing buyers, and why any listing was withdrawn. For an offer, set your ceiling from total ownership cost rather than trying to make the seller “pay” for the property tax. Local treatment and transaction details can vary, so confirm the numbers for the specific property before deciding.
 
Back
Top