Tokyo detached listings: what explains the fast and stale stock?

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
If I treat 39 visible days as normal turnover when it actually combines quick sales with stale stock, the comparison could point in the wrong direction. The Tokyo sample runs from ¥22,640,000 to ¥33,970,000 and consists mainly of detached homes.

I initially focused on tenure or lease details as the likely explanation, but that may be giving price structure too much weight. Could small neighbourhood boundaries, condition, distance from transport, new-listing volume or seller motivation better explain the split? I’d be interested in what information would distinguish those effects before drawing conclusions from the advertised period.
 
I wouldn’t put lease length first without separating the sample more carefully. “Tokyo” and “detached” still cover properties with very different locations, condition and financing appeal. Also, visible for 39 days does not tell you whether stale listings are eventually sold, withdrawn or relisted. Those outcomes could change the picture substantially.
 
Are all the homes within the same wards and similar walking distance from transport? A boundary that looks minor on a map may divide two different buyer pools.

I’d also want the recent completed-sale dates and prices, new-listing volume, and when asking-price cuts occurred. Otherwise the quick listings may simply have entered closer to what buyers would pay.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the tenure theory yet. If some detached homes involve different land or lease arrangements, that distinction could matter—but it needs to be identified rather than inferred from days advertised. Condition may be tangled up with it too: a lower asking price does not necessarily mean easier financing or lower total work for the buyer.
 
Tenure may be part of the explanation, but I would be cautious about assigning it from marketing time alone. That classification can be corrected once the property details are checked; combining withdrawn, relisted and completed homes is harder to undo after the histories have been flattened.

I’d split the sample by small neighbourhood, tenure, condition and original asking price, then record price-cut dates and final outcomes. Relistings should retain their earlier exposure rather than starting again at zero. That limited exercise should reveal whether 39 days is a useful middle point or merely averages correctly priced homes that move quickly with sellers who wait without making meaningful reductions.
 
Back
Top