Toronto apartment: buy at C$1,377,000 or keep renting with high building fees?

kai_trades

First-time buyer
Established
The argument for buying is that I would build equity, but I hesitate because the monthly outlay is already much higher than my rent. A comparable Toronto apartment would cost about C$1,377,000 once purchased, before allowing for the possibility that I relocate in five to seven years.

I’m comparing the mortgage, property tax, maintenance and association dues with what renting actually costs me. The missing pieces are the building’s reserve position, likely fee changes and the full cost of buying and later selling. Those could outweigh the attractive part of ownership over a limited holding period.

If I moved, keeping the apartment might be possible, but only if tenant demand, insurance terms and likely vacancy make the numbers workable. Which building records or recent fee history would most change your view, and how would you test resale liquidity rather than simply assume a buyer will be there?
 
With a possible move in five to seven years, I would not let “building equity” settle it. Part of each payment is interest and other ownership costs, while buying and selling consume money too. Compare unrecoverable costs on both sides, then ask whether you would still want this apartment if resale took longer than expected. High dues can narrow the future buyer pool.
 
What do the dues actually cover, and how does that compare with what your rent includes? A high figure can reflect utilities, insurance or intensive maintenance rather than poor management. I’d want to see the reserve position, planned major work and recent fee pattern. Also, would you keep the apartment as a rental if you moved, or is selling the only realistic exit?
 
I agree that the contents of the fee matter, but I would not treat a healthy-looking reserve as protection against every surprise. Shared buildings can face insurance changes, energy costs and major repairs that alter the budget. On the other hand, renting has its own uncertainty: you retain flexibility, but not control over how long that particular home remains available to you.
 
Run three versions rather than one forecast: sell after five years, sell after seven, and move while keeping it temporarily vacant or tenanted. Include purchase and sale costs, fee increases, maintenance inside the unit, insurance, and the management workload if you become a landlord. For resale, compare this building with nearby apartments carrying lower dues, not just similar floor plans.
 
The deadline pressure is a reason to simplify the decision, not stretch the assumptions until buying works. Decide what premium you are willing to pay for stability and ownership, then compare it with the actual premium shown by your conservative scenario. If the purchase only looks attractive with strong appreciation, no vacancies and easy resale, continuing to rent is a defensible choice rather than a failure to build equity.
 
Back
Top