The argument for buying is that I would build equity, but I hesitate because the monthly outlay is already much higher than my rent. A comparable Toronto apartment would cost about C$1,377,000 once purchased, before allowing for the possibility that I relocate in five to seven years.
I’m comparing the mortgage, property tax, maintenance and association dues with what renting actually costs me. The missing pieces are the building’s reserve position, likely fee changes and the full cost of buying and later selling. Those could outweigh the attractive part of ownership over a limited holding period.
If I moved, keeping the apartment might be possible, but only if tenant demand, insurance terms and likely vacancy make the numbers workable. Which building records or recent fee history would most change your view, and how would you test resale liquidity rather than simply assume a buyer will be there?
I’m comparing the mortgage, property tax, maintenance and association dues with what renting actually costs me. The missing pieces are the building’s reserve position, likely fee changes and the full cost of buying and later selling. Those could outweigh the attractive part of ownership over a limited holding period.
If I moved, keeping the apartment might be possible, but only if tenant demand, insurance terms and likely vacancy make the numbers workable. Which building records or recent fee history would most change your view, and how would you test resale liquidity rather than simply assume a buyer will be there?