Valuation check: 210 m² new-build flat in Lagos at NGN 1,031,000,000

jazzAndKite

Property manager
I would like to reach a value from the flat’s own evidence, but the broker’s yield appears to omit a substantial share of the owner’s costs. The Lagos property is a 1-bed new-build flat of about 210 m², asking NGN 1,031,000,000. Its light and location appeal to me, while the dated finishes and possible building-reserve contributions work against it.

There are three current listings and just one known completed transaction. I am reluctant to price all 210 m² at the same rate when so much space is attached to a single bedroom. How should the surplus area and updating work be treated?

I also need to establish the precise micro-location, remaining lease length, service charges, reserve position, parking allocation and outdoor space. Which of those would you resolve before placing much weight on the available comparisons? I will still commission a local appraisal before acting on a valuation.
 
The one completed transaction gives you firmer evidence than the listings, but it creates another question: is it close enough in layout and features to guide this flat? If it matches the micro-location, floor, outlook, parking and lease position, I would give it substantial weight. If those differ materially, it may be only a rough boundary.

Either way, a flat with 210 m² and one bedroom should not be adjusted by simply multiplying every metre by a uniform rate. Extra circulation or oversized rooms may attract less value than space that adds another useful bedroom. For the dated finishes, use an itemised estimate of cost and disruption rather than a broad condition discount.
 
What part of Lagos, and how close are the comparables to the same micro-location? At this price, being in the same city is nowhere near enough. I’d also want the remaining lease length, current service charge, any planned reserve contribution, parking allocation and outdoor space. Of those, the lease details and recurring building costs could change my view fastest.
 
Before making an offer, the trade-off is between using the only completed transaction quickly and building a slower but more defensible comparison. I understand why that sale looks like the natural starting point, but one different parking allocation, outlook or lease term could distort the result.

A comparison table is easy to revise, whereas an offer based on a false price-per-square-metre assumption is harder to unwind. Record micro-location, measured area, bedroom utility, condition, parking, outdoor space and sale circumstances for all four properties. Give the completed transaction the greatest weight only if those checks show that it is genuinely similar; otherwise use it as one boundary rather than the answer.
 
For the next step, ask the broker for the yield calculation line by line and replace it with a conservative owner-cost version that includes the stated service and reserve concerns. Separately, verify that all four comparables use the same floor-area basis. The unusual 210 m²-to-one-bedroom layout is probably the hardest adjustment here; without evidence that buyers pay fully for that surplus space, I would avoid valuing every square metre equally.
 
Back
Top