Vienna villa at €170,200 and €963 rent: what costs am I missing?

kit_escrow

Landlord
Established
The 6.8% headline yield looked attractive until I listed the costs that the percentage leaves out. The property is a 3-bed villa in Vienna offered at €170,200, with expected rent of €963 a month, but that gross figure is not enough to make the decision.

I am allowing for tenant turnover, management fees, routine upkeep and money for a substantial future repair. The building appears sound, though the property-tax amount, insurance cost and any owner-only charges still need confirming.

Which Vienna expense most often changes a calculation like this? If €963 is base rent and the verified costs leave an acceptable margin, I would keep investigating; if it includes recoverable tenant charges or insurance materially reduces the return, I would need a lower price or walk away. What net yield would make that risk worthwhile for you?
 
Before choosing a target yield, establish what the €963 actually means. Is it base rent to the owner, or the tenant’s total monthly payment including recoverable charges? That distinction can change the calculation substantially.

I’d ask for an itemised list of recurring charges, the current property-tax amount, an insurance quote and any owner-only building costs. Also calculate yield on the full acquisition cost, not just €170,200.
 
Good point. The broker has only presented €963 as the expected monthly rent, without separating base rent from tenant charges. I’ve asked for that split, plus the latest property-tax figure and a schedule of recurring costs.

I’m initially comparing it as a cash purchase, then I’ll run financing separately. I also need to confirm whether the quoted price excludes any acquisition expenses.
 
Property tax may not be the cost that hurts most. With a villa, repairs can be irregular and concentrated: heating, roof, exterior, drainage and services can turn a good average year into a bad one. A single generic reserve is only useful if it reflects the likely timing and scale of those jobs.

Personally, I’d want something around 4.5% net before financing and personal tax, but only after using all-in acquisition cost as the denominator.
 
I wouldn’t anchor on 4.5% without knowing the micro-location and likely tenant pool. Tenant turnover could matter more than a slightly higher annual maintenance estimate, especially if each change means vacancy, advertising, cleaning or refurbishment.

Run a downside case with lower collected rent and a major repair in the same year. If the deal becomes uncomfortable immediately, the 6.8% headline offers little protection.
 
Annual scheduled rent is €11,556. From that, subtract realistic vacancy, management, insurance, owner-paid recurring charges, property tax, maintenance and the repair reserve. Divide the result first by €170,200, then again by total cash committed including acquisition costs. Those two yields answer different questions.

Keep financing outside the operating-yield calculation so an attractive loan does not disguise a weak property—or an expensive loan disguise a sound one.
 
Also separate loan interest from principal repayment when testing cash flow. Both affect money left in your account, but only interest is a financing cost; principal builds equity.

The next practical step is to avoid estimating items that can be obtained directly: request the actual tax assessment, recurring charge breakdown, insurance quotation, rent composition and evidence supporting the expected €963. Until those arrive, I’d treat the 6.8% as an advertisement rather than a decision figure.
 
Back
Top