What should a building inspection service cover for a $1.385m New York coastal home?

JaeBrooks

Real estate agent
I’m comparing inspection services for a coastal home in New York priced around $1,385,000, and the same “building inspection” label seems to cover very different work. Some providers mention negotiation and document coordination; others appear to finish once the inspection or introduction is complete.

Before signing, I want the agreement to state the inspection scope, exclusions, total fee, response time, local coastal experience, report delivery deadline, and who answers follow-up questions between offer and closing. Should negotiation and coordination be treated as separate services? Also, what independent evidence should I request if defects or moisture concerns are found?
 
I would separate the physical inspection from transaction coordination rather than assume one firm remains accountable for both. Ask who performs each task and get the answer in writing.

For the inspection itself, request a sample report, the quoted scope and exclusions, the deadline for the final report, and the process for correcting omissions. Coastal conditions may justify asking specifically how moisture, drainage and exposed exterior elements are handled. Also clarify whether “agreement signed” means the inspection contract or purchase agreement—the available response window may differ.
 
Back
Top