When should I arrange an independent inspection for a Lagos new build?

UmaBirch

Homeowner
I have the builder’s assurance that this Lagos new build will receive municipal approval, but I still do not know what that process checks in practice. The property is a 2-bed detached home, and my concerns are drainage, insulation and finish defects rather than approval alone.

When would a buyer-commissioned inspection have the most value: while there is still time to correct issues before completion, during the handover walk-through, or later within the defect period? Finding something such as poor drainage before the furniture arrives would be useful, but access and working utilities may limit what can be tested. I also need to retain enough cash for moving, the first mortgage payment, any initial service charges and an emergency fund.
 
I’d choose before completion, provided the builder allows access, then do your own careful walk-through at handover. Municipal approval and an inspection commissioned by the buyer do not necessarily answer the same questions. Earlier findings may also be easier to address before you move furniture in. Keep the report focused on visible condition, drainage and agreed finishes rather than assuming it can uncover everything.
 
What does your purchase agreement actually say about inspection access and the deadline for reporting defects? Timing advice is difficult without that. Also ask whether utilities will be working during the visit; some items cannot be meaningfully checked otherwise. I’d want dated photos and a written list that identifies the room or exterior area for each finding.
 
I’m not convinced an inspection before completion is automatically the best use of limited cash. If the home is still being finished, the report may mostly list incomplete work, and you could end up paying for another visit later. For a buyer whose emergency fund is already thin, a thorough handover inspection plus money reserved for immediate repairs and the insurance excess may be the better trade-off.
 
That caveat is fair, but it suggests asking for inspection prices and scope now rather than skipping it. Find out whether one fee can cover a pre-handover visit and a short return visit, then compare that with your moving costs, service charges if any, furniture plans and first mortgage payment. I’d delay nonessential furniture before draining the repair reserve. Whatever timing you choose, send findings promptly in writing and keep copies of the report, photos and the builder’s responses.
 
Back
Top