The municipal sign-off seems to reassure the builder, but I’m concerned it may not catch defects that matter to us as owners. We are looking at a €979,800 four-bedroom new-build villa in Paris, and I want an independent check of the drainage, insulation and standard of finish.
When would that inspection be most useful: while work is still under way, shortly before we take possession, or later while defects can still be reported? I’m trying to balance the inspection cost against the risk of repairs after moving in. We also need to retain cash for the move, the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess and a genuine emergency reserve.
When would that inspection be most useful: while work is still under way, shortly before we take possession, or later while defects can still be reported? I’m trying to balance the inspection cost against the risk of repairs after moving in. We also need to retain cash for the move, the first mortgage payment, the insurance excess and a genuine emergency reserve.