Would you cap a £13,650 valuation gap on a London offer?

MaraSage

Buyer
Established
I would like to make a competitive offer without turning a successful bid into a financing problem. The obstacle is that the seller is seeking close to £483,600 while the strongest completed comparables appear lower.

I could cover a lender valuation gap up to £13,650, but only as a firm limit and not at the expense of the deposit or repair money. With the response deadline approaching, should I keep the valuation protection and show stronger financing proof, or lower the offer unless the seller accepts that cap? I also want the survey protection to remain meaningful—for example, a serious defect should still allow a repair credit or a reconsideration of price.
 
I would not waive the valuation condition. If £13,650 is genuinely available after allowing for the deposit, purchase costs and possible repairs, make that a hard cap rather than an open-ended promise. Also provide whatever financing proof you can. A high headline figure is not useful to the seller if the funding falls apart.
 
What loan-to-value are you expecting, and would the £13,650 come from cash currently intended for the deposit? Those details change the risk substantially. I would also ask why the deadline exists and what the seller values besides price—speed, certainty or flexibility. Their motivation may let you keep protection without being the highest bidder.
 
I disagree that a capped gap is automatically the best presentation. It can make the offer look complicated while still leaving uncertainty over the lender’s figure. I would rather submit a slightly lower, clean headline offer with the full valuation condition and survey protection intact.

Be careful about assuming repair credits will restore your buffer later. The survey may find nothing significant, or the seller may simply refuse to renegotiate.
 
Before the deadline, put three numbers on one page: maximum purchase price, maximum valuation shortfall, and minimum cash you must retain for repairs and completion costs. Then test the £483,600 offer against all three.

Give the completed comparables to whoever is helping with the financing and ask how a lower valuation would affect the required deposit. Separately, have the conveyancer explain when money becomes exposed in this transaction. The sensible offer is the one that still works if the valuation is low and no repair credit appears.
 
Back
Top