I’d be cautious about making five years the only comparison period. Are you actually expecting to sell or refinance then? If not, the post-fix terms and rate-reset risk could outweigh a modest saving during the initial period. I’d model at least three cases: keep the loan after year five...
Timing can produce surprises even when the total tax estimate is broadly right. Ask which amounts must be funded before or on completion, which arrive later, and which depend on final invoices or apportionments. I would also want the notary quote to distinguish the core conveyance work from any...
Are you mainly building an investment model, or trying to understand a possible first purchase? That changes what is worth reading first.
For a purchase, the transaction-cost, mortgage-comparison and legal-checklist discussions may expose assumptions that price data alone misses. For modelling...
Agreed. I’d set two hurdles: a minimum net cash return under ordinary assumptions and a maximum annual cash contribution under stress. The second one matters because a low return can become a serious burden after a rate change, vacancy or repair. If either figure is uncomfortable, waiting is a...
For a first deal, I’d give cash flow priority and put appreciation at zero in the base case. If it still clears your minimum return, growth is upside rather than rescue. Just make sure your minimum is measured on cash actually invested, not the headline yield. Is the quoted rent contractual...
One caveat: a larger service list does not automatically mean better execution. Before choosing, send each agent the same short set of questions and compare the clarity, consistency and ownership of the replies. Also ask who covers when the named contact is unavailable. That small test may tell...
What does “building looks sound” mean here? Visual condition is not enough if the condominium is considering roof, façade, lift or shared-system work. Your private repair reserve may not cover a large contribution for common areas. I’d want recent actual charges and information on planned works...
Do not overlook the end-of-tenancy workload either. Condition disputes and deposit handling can consume time even where the tenant has generally been careful. A reliable payer who reports issues and maintains the flat has an economic value that does not appear in the headline rent comparison...
The most valuable connection is usually the unglamorous one between the transaction record and document workflow. It should carry parties, property details, status and the current document version without manual copying. I’d measure time saved at each handoff rather than across the whole...
Maria’s point about programme assumptions is important. I’d also ask what “moderate energy upgrades” means in measurable scope. Is the allowance for specific insulation work, heating changes, glazing, controls, or merely investigation? Different answers affect wall build-ups, electrical demand...
Are the kitchen and bathrooms staying in their current locations? Moving wet areas could affect plumbing access far more than changing finishes. Also, is the wall definitely being opened, or is that only a possible layout change? I would settle those two points before choosing a contingency.
I slightly disagree with making a large fixed emergency number the starting point. The right reserve also depends on monthly cash flow, employment stability and how much the mortgage and strata costs leave you each month. C$32,400 may be comfortable for one household and thin for another.
List...
I’m not convinced selectivity is the best explanation yet. A small number of unusually attractive detached homes could pull the September result around, particularly if transaction volume was low. Condition, price band and neighbourhood may explain more than a citywide seasonal story. Until...
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Budget for a bed, basic seating, lighting and whatever you genuinely need to cook; leave the second bedroom and decorative purchases until the emergency fund starts recovering. Moving costs are less flexible, so obtain those estimates now. I’d also...
If the mortgage continues beyond the 20-year fixed period, rate-reset risk needs its own scenario. Test the remaining balance and payment under more than one later rate. If the loan ends at 20 years, that issue disappears, but the monthly affordability test becomes especially important because...